KSI is a leading provider of home interior products for builders, contractors and consumers. We operate with a customer-centric focus that delivers exceptional experiences through excellent service and best-in-class design.
KSI is the most recommended provider for creating spaces in the home that people will love.
Value and invest in our team. Operate with Integrity. Empower our people to make an impact every day.
Foster partnerships and use them to enhance our success.
Execute a defined process to deliver an exceptional customer experience.
At KSI, we are proud to give back to the communities where our customers and employees live and work. KSI completes special projects for U.S. veterans and offers military discounts to active and retired service members.
We never miss an opportunity to serve our neighbors—from sponsoring Walk for Warmth to supporting Gleaners Community Food Bank and donating time, money and resources to local charities, school programs and fundraisers.
As an award-winning provider in the home design and remodel space, KSI is affiliated with a variety of industry organizations at national and local levels.
These associations provide leadership, offer education and ensure quality workmanship. They also promote and support ethical business practices and high levels of professionalism. By nurturing a strong commitment to our industry, our team can deliver on our vision to bring design dreams to life.
Today, KSI is widely recognized as a leading kitchen and bath design and remodeling provider in Michigan and Ohio.
In 2020, President and CEO Tony Achatz was hired to usher in the next phase of growth for the company. Under his leadership, KSI’s Birmingham and Toledo design centers moved to new locations with all-new displays and unique showroom experiences. KSI’s Cabinets Express subsidiary achieved a significant milestone with the opening of a second location in Sterling Heights.
2021 brought several exciting developments: KSI acquired Starlite Kitchens of Byron Center, MI — signaling KSI’s growth into West Michigan. Cabinets Express Brighton transitioned from an outlet to a new showroom in Brighton. KSI acquired ASA Cabinet Corp in Commerce, MI, allowing the company to better serve residents of Oakland County and the building community of southeast Michigan.
In 2022, KSI opened a new design center in Grand Rapids, marking a second location in West Michigan. The new design center went on to earn national recognition from Kitchen & Bath Design News in their 2022 Awards program for Best Independent Showroom.
The Spring of 2023 saw the opening of a new design center in Rochester Hills, as well as the move of KSI’s corporate headquarters and Southeast MI warehouse to a new, modern facility in Farmington Hills.
Since 1971, KSI has been a trusted name in kitchen, bathroom and home design and remodeling. Like many family-owned businesses, KSI began when two business partners with an entrepreneurial spirit and a service-oriented, “do whatever it takes” mentality decided to go into business together.
Two Dons, Two Station Wagons and a Commitment to Quality Cabinetry
Don Fisher and Don Ziegler started Kitchen Suppliers, Inc. on May 20, 1971, with $2,700 in contracts consisting of down payments on two Fords, insurance and their first four cabinet orders.
Working 18-hour days, selling cabinets, unloading trucks and delivering products from their station wagons, they provided cabinetry to home builders with a focus on teamwork, community and quality products.
- By 1972, recognizing KSI’s commitment to quality and service, Merillat Cabinetry began selling to the company directly — a relationship that continues today.
- Having experienced rapid growth, Fisher and Ziegler relocated the KSI office and warehouse to Brighton, MI.
- By the late 70s, KSI opened a builder selection center in Ann Arbor to support the company’s ongoing expansion.
THE 1980s TO 2000s
Introducing Homeowners to KSI Kitchen & Bath
In 1985, Merillat approached KSI to begin selling directly to homeowners, heralding a new era of growth for the company.
- KSI Kitchen & Bath opened new locations in Macomb in 1985, Livonia in 1988 and Birmingham in 1994.
- During this time, the company remodeled and expanded its headquarters in Brighton to support the new design centers.
The early 2000s brought several exciting developments for KSI as Fisher and Ziegler grew the company into one of the Midwest’s leading kitchen and bath design firms.
- In 2003, KSI branched out into Northwestern Ohio through the acquisition of design centers in Toledo and Lima.
- The same year, KSI began to offer installation services for homeowners, creating the design-through-delivery project experience the company is known for today.
2005 TO 2018
Creating the New Showroom Experience
While many companies struggled during the Great Recession as new construction ground to a halt, KSI continued its growth trajectory by focusing on retail business while supporting the needs of remodelers.
- In 2005, KSI’s Brighton Design Center moved out of the corporate location to its own dedicated retail showroom space to better serve clients in Livingston County.
- In 2006, KSI rebranded its Brighton warehouse retail outlet — through which consumers can purchase scratch-and-dent, disordered and discontinued cabinets — as Cabinets Express. The new, improved facility boasts enhanced displays and expanded hours—offering attainable, ready-to-assemble cabinets in addition to the company’s luxury outlet offerings.
From 2015 to 2018, KSI revamped its design centers to reflect the latest kitchen and bath design trends in cabinetry, countertops, hardware and more. This initiative included relocating the Ann Arbor and Lima design centers while remodeling showrooms in Macomb and Livonia.
A New Era of Ownership
In 2019, Lauren and Bryan Tolles purchased KSI. Lauren’s architectural background and design studio management experience — coupled with Bryan’s extensive knowledge of building materials investment and a passion for all things kitchen and bath — made them the ideal stewards to carry on the KSI customer experience Fisher and Ziegler envisioned so many years ago.